Before Shoreham Academy opened in 2009, the site was called King’s Manor, but even before that it was a boy’s school called Shoreham and Southwick Senior Boys County school in Middle Road which had opened in 1937. It was built on a five-acre site in Middle Road where Shoreham Academy’s recreation ground is now.
Some interesting facts about Shoreham and Southwick Senior Boys County:
- It was a boys’ senior elementary school for 360 pupils
- It was built of reinforced concrete and had flat roofs to allow for future extensions to be placed on top of the ground floor building and enabled wider spans for rooms
- The school had an assembly hall which doubled up as a gymnasium, it had wall bars and climbing ropes etc. there was a sliding partition that opened on to an art room.
- The classrooms were in a continuous line on the south side of the school
- A circular, rubber floored staircase led to the first floor which contained the staff room, the headmaster’s room and the science laboratory
- Not long after the school’s completion war broke out however the teaching continued
- The school uniform was a wine coloured cap, blazer and tie, white shirt, grey shorts and knee length socks
- The only people who were allowed to wear long trousers was the 4th year pupils
- There was approximately 35 pupils in each class, this meant that there were 12 classes in total and there was one class for special needs children
- There were four houses: St David, St George, St Patrick, and St Andrew
In 1970, Kings Manor School was formed in 1970 by the merger of Shoreham and Southwick Senior Boys County and another local school, King’s Manor Girls school in Kingston Lane, which had opened in 1959
Shoreham Academy was built as it stands now in 2009 over the original site.